Semester design project
The following is a description of the general structure of the
working project for the semester. The subject of the project is
self-chosen on approval of your advisor.
- Structuring Data: Choose and collect a critical mass of
information. Design and create a structure suitable for collection,
ordering and conveyance.
- Functionality: Define, design and implement a given
functionality on the data collection.
- Interfaces: Define, design and implement the necessary
interface for conveyance of the collected information.
- Define the general aims of the project and attempt to study
its feasibility and level of ambition.
- A "critical mass of information" is that which gives the
project a level of complexity that makes it relatively difficult to
- Decide what aspect of the design to concentrate on. (Methods,
implementation, theory, etc.)
- Interfaces are those points at which data change state. They
can be between programs, machines or between machines and
users. (Not excluding organisms other than humans.)
- Projects are to be presented and available at all times from
the students own web pages.
- Retain all documentation of the project including changes and a
work log which may be used in evaluation.
- Written documents for printing to be formatted in
LaTeX or DocBook. (MicroSoft Word ".doc" documents will not be